View Single Post
Old 08-27-2021, 09:21 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
Repeat HEI module failures are typically due to a failed ignition coil.

Module dies...replace it. Module dies again, replace it AND the ignition coil.

The GM HEI is "the" most-reliable OEM electronic ignition system on the planet. The first few years did have some reliability and performance (rpm) problems--select '74 vehicles, '75, and so forth until the in-cap coils got a black "ground" wire added, and the rotor color changed from black to white. I don't remember when that happened except I'm sure it was prior to '80.

I'm not saying the in-cap coils with the black "ground" wire are infallible; just that they're a better basic design than the ones without. The black wire is the "other end" of the secondary winding, which previously was connected to the primary winding; and still is on the stand-alone coils. The black rotors were known for "punch-through", where the spark would break-down the insulation and ground to the advance mechanism. GM first denied that that was a problem...then changed rotors to fix it.
I will absolutely say that my HEI NEVER had a White Rotor and it was a very early 1978 TA. Thanks for the educational post.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.