View Single Post
Old 08-20-2021, 07:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Updates:

Removed front end panels.

Trial fitted inner fenders. No issues there just wanted to check to make sure that my install order for my final assembly after paint didn't present any problems.

Block sanded all of the nose.

Reworked both fenders at the patch panel area. The style lines were not as straight from front to back as I liked. It was hard to see but I wanted them better. I'm very satisfied with them now.

Re-assembled the front end panels. I really wanted to pull it apart and re-assemble anyway just to make sure I could get everything aligned exactly the same way as I had it. It does take a while but I was successful.

Here's a few photos of it assembled again. I tried to take photos at an angle that shows the straightness of the lower style lines well.

I also starting working on the trunk area and started with filling the factory quarter to trunk filler panel where it was leaded originally. As you might remember, I beefed up the factory welding with new multiple passes.
I started with applying SPI epoxy primer using a brush and allowed it to dry overnight. Then I appled Evercoat short strand fiberglass reinforced filler. It also has kevlar in it to add strength.

After applying the filler and sanding smooth:

Next, I installed the trunk lid panel and got it lined up and level best as I could. I did use a hammer and dolly a bit on the edges of the panel for level matching. It didn't take a lot. There was one place that was just a bid too wide on the panel for the opening. From the factory, the passenger side edge wasn't quite straight and caused the gap to be too narrow in a section. I sanded it down to make it straight. This did go through the skin that wraps around the inner structure so I welded it closed and ground back smooth again:

I also added a little more filler to the to get a good gap where the previous leaded seams were. Here's as it is now:

The list is getting shorter of things that need to be done before getting the entire body in primer. I need to fit the trunk lid trim and quarter extensions to make sure everything fits as it should. I'm waiting for delivery on the extension for the passenger side. A member here is sending me one and it is enroute. I also need to order more primer and will do that this weekend. In the mean time I'll start using a D/A with 80 grit on all the panels to get everything scuffed.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO