View Single Post
Old 05-12-2021, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I have a question about the compressors. Please don't take this the wrong way. I notice many muscle cars and all the vintage air and other kits do away with the Frigidaire/Harrison A6 compressor. Is there a specific reason for that? The A6 is heavy and can leak a small amount of oil that can mark the underside of the hood. Other than that, extremely reliable, can support an 80,000 BTU system and was original equipment for nearly 40 years on GM, Jaguar, Rolls Royce and other cars. Just curious why they are discarded as so much junk on so many classic muscle cars? Always interested in learning new stuff.
I don't mind the A6 myself. They don't make a Sanden, Pro6ten or otherwise, that will pump as much as the A6 does. It's just a bigger compressor, period. That's how they make the Sandens more efficient, they're smaller physically and internally and just don't move as much freon (less ci)

Personally I'll stick with the A6 most of the time unless it's requested to change. That firebird I pictured earlier I discussed with the owner for a while. The A6 worked but was slinging a little oil as you mentioned. I was going to do seals or switch to the new style Pro6. In the end, since I was changing hoses, condensor and revamping the entire system with R134 the Pro6 was chosen. It works fine and is a good compressor. No complaints.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE