View Single Post
Old 03-15-2024, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiphead View Post
So I want to put a Transgo shift kit in my TH400. I don't know the year of the trans or what's been done to it. It does shift like it's had some work done to it. The shifts are firm, but inconsistently so. I can't feel it downshift as I approach a red light. It does have a torque converter that's on the loose side. I've already checked the modulator and governor.

How do I tell if it's had the direct dual feed mod done internally, without pulling the trans? The TG shift kit dual feeds the direct using a separator plate. Supposedly it doesn't play well if the direct is dual fed by removing stator rings or lip seals. Is there anything I can look for when dropping the valvebody?

If I can't tell if the internal dual feed mod has been done, should I retain the stock separator plate, open the holes to match the TG plate and use the TG springs in the VB?
Drop the valve body and take a look at the separator plate. If it's already had a TG kit, you'll notice it on the plate. You're not going to be able to tell if it's had rings or lip seals removed unless you look, which involves removing the trans. If it was me in your shoes, I'd pull the trans and disassemble it to see what's been done. Is there no tag riveted to the case? If it's there, look at the 2 digit date code. Otherwise you can sometimes ID the gen of the case by the type of hard parts already in it....of course that could all be "out the window" if someone has transplanted a bunch of parts.

I'm finishing up a TH400 for my '65 Lamnas which is a 1966 case. I upgraded to the "later" center support and made a few add'l mods along the way for shorter shifts, longetivity and higher torque load capacity
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7380.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	630408   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7374.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	630409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 3-6-24 at 7.19 PM.jpg
Views:	82