Thread: Air flow
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchell View Post
My 71 hood is capable of using the same ram air setup that was used on 71 gto’s and the formulas.

However there are trade offs and complications associated:

- the rpm intake sits A LOT higher, throwing the sealing geometry off and likely not allowing hood clearance for the air cleaner at all
- the pan and air cleaner assembly is weighty, possibly negating any benefits

You did give me an idea tho. Might try sealing the forward edge or back edge of the air cleaner base to the hood with foam to figure out if it likes air from the front of the engine or the back. Might reduce turbulence as well.

Can only try.

I am going to try a mock up of the the Jim hand carb mod to improve air flow into it.
Ah, I didn't realize you had a taller intake manifold. Yeah this setup doesn't give much wiggle room for clearance.

I've never been able to make the car run better with any form of an open element air cleaner in there though, so they are worth the investment if you had the room.

What you are thinking about now (sealing the front edge of the air cleaner) Is one reason why I believe your setup you have now works the best out of things you have tried so far. I've seen people do that before, and I think it's the factory base that somewhat shields the hot air that radiates off the engine and is somewhat of a shield for the hot air the fan blow back off the radiator. Where as an open element does none of that.

Now that I'm monitoring IAT's with a Sniper Stealth unit on one of the cars it's amazing how changes like this affect the temp of the incoming air. What is even more interesting is watching the computer change the fuel demand when you change the IAT's. So far with fresh outside air coming into the EFI, and early morning ambient temps in the 20's, my IAT's are 30 degrees when moving and I can watch the EFI add as much as 12% fuel. So it's easy to see why a cold air package is beneficial at the track and why my Formula slows down without it.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE