Thread: Air flow
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
The biggest gain I've found with air cleaners at the track is finding a way to ingest outside air.

All the air cleaner setups I've tried never worked as well as the factory cold air setup on my ram air Formula.

I'm surprised Mchell that with your 71-72 GTO hood you haven't tried the same air cleaner my Formula has. They are reproduced and aren't overly expensive.

I found similar differences with my Chevelle and it's cowl induction setup. The difference in IAT temps is night and day.

My 71 hood is capable of using the same ram air setup that was used on 71 gto’s and the formulas.

However there are trade offs and complications associated:

- the rpm intake sits A LOT higher, throwing the sealing geometry off and likely not allowing hood clearance for the air cleaner at all
- the pan and air cleaner assembly is weighty, possibly negating any benefits

You did give me an idea tho. Might try sealing the forward edge or back edge of the air cleaner base to the hood with foam to figure out if it likes air from the front of the engine or the back. Might reduce turbulence as well.

Can only try.

I am going to try a mock up of the the Jim hand carb mod to improve air flow into it.

71 GTO, 463, KRE 295 cfm heads ported by SD Performance, RPM intake, Qjet, Dougs Headers, Comp cams HR 246/252 ...11 to 1 , 3.55 cogs, 3985lbs.....day three- 11.04 at 120mph ....1.53 60', 6.98 1/8 mile