View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
Greg, would a set of small headed header bolts work better? I think the recommended torque rating on the bolts is about 30/35lb-ft. A small standard wrench should be able to generate that. An ignition wrench? You might turn it inside out. Except for a few times when I needed to re-torque my bolts early on, I've had no issues with my Doug's. I personally don't think they are any louder than the RA III manifolds I took off. They have a different sound, but to my deaf ears they are no louder. My car is amazingly quiet inside.
There might be a bolt designed that worked better. I'd have to see it. The problem is clearance below the bolthead and in front of the bolthead.
To clarify, the #5 runner comes straight down then straight back. Imagine an "L". The bolt is right in the corner of that right angle (threads up, head down) so that an open end wrench won't get between the verticle leg of the "L" and the bolt head...that's where a smaller head might help. A boxed end would be thin enough to fit there but you can't get over the head because of the horizontal 'foot' of the "L" being too close to the top (or in this case, bottom) of the bolt head.
The right angle on the wrench allows you to reach the bolt head from the open side of the "L".
I might take a regular length wrench and a torch and bend a right angle if I can't find one.. That'll give me some more torque although, I think I got it pretty tight. The little New Britain ignition wrenches have a real good bite on the bolt heads and I was able to give it a good push from the side.