Thread: AV Gas...
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2000, 02:12 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!

Concur with Tinny. I've run Avgas (100LL) in a 10.75:1 race car with a short cam and the engine never showed any signs of detonation, even with lots of ignition lead.
I DO note, however, that several N20
manufacturers do NOT recommend Avgas. I don't know why, but they obviously tested their products and know best.
Remember, with the addition of TEL to gasoline, the first small amount adds a lot of octane, and adding more also raises octane, but on a declining curve.
I go to the air races in Reno all the time, and the unlimited class racers (usually P-51 mustangs and F-4U corsairs or F-8 Bearcats) still use 115/145-with 10% nitro!
So, it's available some places but my suspicion would be that it's at least as expensive as race gas.
At my local airport 100LL is now going for $1.75 plus sales tax, and is now cheaper than super unleaded in my area! Tinny is right, get a couple of 5 gallon PLASTIC fuel jugs from Summit and use those. Most fuel facilities are automated now and take credit cards. They also require an aircraft tail number to pump. BUT, you're at an airport, look around and the solution will be obvious.
Be SURE to use the ground strap to ground the fuel jug during pumping.
T

------------------
Jesus is coming again. Look
busy!

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts