View Single Post
Old 07-01-2022, 09:21 AM

Going back to the original post question, I believe the noise generated is a federal law for anytime a hybrid or all electric vehicle is operating in all electric mode to notify pedestrians that you are there. I own two hybrid vehicles a 2013 Toyota Highlander and a 2017 Hyundai Sonata. Both were built before this simulated noise law was in effect. In both vehicles at low speeds , probably 10 MPH or less it is very easy to sneak up on someone at low speeds and could become a danger. Much faster and the tire noise will alert people you are there. A couple days ago while approaching the bare at Rocky Mountain National park, the attendant was turned around talking to someone for almost two minutes and did not respond to me until I cleared my throat. She apologized, saying she did not hear me pull up.

I Havel always been kind of a performance minded per looking for good good acceleration. I would describe my wife’s Toyota with a V6 electric combination as peppy. The electric motors give instantaneous response at any speed. Where hybrids really shine is around town and especially in bumper to bumper traffic as the gas engine only runs when it needs to, keeping the engine temps much lower because it runs considerably less giving highway equivalent gas mileage to an all gas vehicle. My Sonata doesn’t have near the performance of the Highlander, still has decent performance, better than a typical four cylinder gas engine and averages 42 MPG around town in the summer. I honestly did not buy hybrids for the economy but was more intrigued with the technology. With current fuel prices we are glad to have more efficient vehicles.