Thread: 1970 WS Block??
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
I believe that the radio was always a cost option;
I held off on posting incase anyone might have had something more substanciated to share.

I had come to understand that the early cars always came with a windshield with the embedded arial even if a radio wasn't ordered;
I have been told that the windshield in the mid(?) 1970's changed with the radio option, because cars were being ordered without a radio when people got wind that the arial was already in the car - after that point I believe that a car being ordered without a radio, could have had a radio accomidation package so that an antenna didn't need to be added to a fender (or the quarter panel).
Random information, but in the late 70's I worked for a company installing aftermarket accessories for new car dealers (radios, cruise control, side molding, vinyl, tops, and pinstripe), Dealers ordered the cars with the Radio Accommodation Package. This would include antenna, wire harness, and in some cases speaker openings or grills in the dash or doors. We installed look alike factory radio/tape players along with correct looking knobs, speaker brackets etc. Usually about 1/2 price of factory radio and dealer would pocket or deal the difference.