View Single Post
Old 10-04-2023, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
Maybe there's some back story here we don't have. Has the engine always leaked after several rebuilds? Possibly some machining issue as a result? You're going to have to pull and replace the engine anyhow. If it runs great, but leaks oil and that's not attributed to some sort of machining issue, why not yank it out, seal it back up and put it back in the car?

I had to pull my engine this spring due to a bonehead move by an exhaust shop. Like your case, my engine ran well but leaked a good amount of oil. While it was out it got a new pan, 1 piece gasket, verified a dry front and rear main etc. Now the engine is leak free.

Something to consider anyway.

I've heard really good things about Paul C in Tucson, but I know he's pretty swamped right now. Torqhead from the board recently had some work done and could only get some machining done in a pinch. In fact, as I looked around while my engine was out, it seems most everyone is a year or more out.
Hey Jason, good to hear from you...............i think you hit it on the head im thinking something has not been right since the first rebuild in 2007.............motor ran great, but seemed to burn oil /leak...............rebuild in 2010............motor ran great, but same issue............this time in 2023 i had the motor re-ringed, that stopped the oil burning, motor runs great, but still have the leaks..................i do have the one pc bop rear main seal, the shop did a smoke test, says no issues....................well that isnt excately true..........lol............im wondering when he said he did a smoke test, if that wasnt the wacky tobaccy test...........

Im doing some testing on the leakage, and gonna post on that to see if its even worth messing around with it...............but since 2007 i always have had some oil in the inspection cover, but never a drop in the garage, but always hade enough oil on the underside...............i assume it was dripping while driving...............but this year is the first time its dripped in the garage.

Dont know for sure what rear main was used in 2007, but in 2010 it was the best gasket graphite gasket seal..............this year the one piece bop gasket also with the one piece oil pan gasket.............dont want to pull this motor again and try again with it...................im thinking something is wrong with it one way or the other.................its not like im having some hacks put this thing together...........2 builders from the forum, and one from green lake wi...............this is the one who said, im real familar with the bop one pic gasket..............he also said the smoke test showed no issues...................needless to say i wont be seeing him again..........

Rich