View Single Post
Old 09-16-2021, 07:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Progress

It's been a relatively long time since an update but I'm slow on this part of the process.
After sanding all the polyester primer that I showed in that last update, there were still a few areas that needed another application of it and I sprayed that on last week. After sanding that, I discovered that I still had issues in the shape of the top of the quarter panel wheel openings. I just didn't have both sides looking the same shape. I had sanded the driver side a little too flat in the middle of the opening. And I discovered I had a bit of a bulge in behind the center top of the passenger side opening and this was a bit of a setback as I knew I was going to have remove all the primer build to move that in. I wished I had noticed it earlier in the process.

This high spot was caused from over planishing the welding shrinkage when I installed the patch panels. I used a pick and file to knock it in. I have found the best way to do that is with a pick hammer held against the metal and tapping it with another hammer. You can see all the dots where it was hit. For a file I used 80 grit on a firm sanding block. I also used ink for a guide coating in that process.
After a couple coats of epoxy (yesterday) and an application of spot filler this morning:

And after applying polyester primer to both sides:

Hopefully, I can get these quarters sanded and get them shaped properly now. I am really going to take my time and pay attention to my sanding technique.

The good news is that the rest of the car is ready to move on to spraying with 2K primer for the final finesse block sanding. I'm only using epoxy to sand in the front bumper and I've got that nearly perfect now. I sprayed more epoxy on that the top part yesterday.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO

Last edited by roger1; 09-16-2021 at 07:36 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post: