View Single Post
Old 05-13-2024, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling money pits View Post
My 71 lemans 2bbl had a specific air cleaner housing, different from 4bbl ones. Filter was narrower and taller than the AC212(?) 4bbl one.

As far as chrome goes, this is all I know. In June of 1988 I was stomping through a junk yard, somewhere in south Dennis NJ, and popped a hood on a bone stock lemans….five dollars later I had a chrome air cleaner lid for mine. * shrug *
Have NEVER ran across a chromed factory Pontiac 2bbl lid on a '70 Tempest or LeMans, or on a '71 or 72 350 LeMans, only black painted factory 2 bbl lids. Have seen a lot of crazy owner assembled vehicles. Only the Lord knows how many thousand '70-72's, I've popped the hoods on, pulled parts off, or at the very least, examined the cowl tag.

A thought! Am trying to remember if the '68 & 69 400 2bbl GTO's had a chrome 2bbl lid & valve covers. Either that was the source, or someone had a 2bbl lid chromed for $25-40. In the mid 70's - mid 80's, local chrome plating was not that expensive. We had 4 shops locally that would plate parts. In '83, had a '80 Z-28 aircleaner lid, a new 301 valley cover, & a pair of Turbo 301 valve covers, all chrome plated locally for $100.