View Single Post
Old 05-13-2024, 09:38 AM

Thanks, and yes, the leather is soooooo nice. While Tim (my upholsterer) tells me that this leather is finished to more or less resemble the original grain of the GM leather of the time, the feel is just so much nicer. "Buttery" is the word I would use to describe it. I'm very happy with the job, and glad that I've finally reached a point in my life where the cost was not an overwhelming barrier (well, there is still "the wife" factor to consider, but...). My reasoning is that I have no intention of ever parting with the car, and after nearly 60 years of ownership (my dad was the second owner, in January of '65), I've had to do this level of work exactly once. I shouldn't have to do it again.

Back to the carpet for a moment, I took some time to discuss this thread with Tim, too. He, of course, advised that the carpet comes to him with the heel pad in place. I then reminded him that it was still up to him as to how to position the carpet on the floorboard and around the hump, and of course, he agreed. Yes, it fits quite well over the hump, and looking at it, it's hard to imagine how it could be shifted even an inch fore or aft of its current position without it looking terribly skewed. In short, it surely looks like it only really goes in "one way."

'63 Bonneville Convertible
'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE