View Single Post
Old 05-05-2024, 11:50 PM
Senior Chief

I’m not a huge fan of most Devilbiss guns but I have an SRi-Pro (purple body) in a 1.0 that I think is a great all-around gun. They were originally high $$$ but I often see them slip through on eBay in the $100 range. If you find one with the TRANS-TECH (TE) air cap it will run great on very low CFM (if compressor size is a concern for you).

The ANI R160 is also a great all-around gun. Italian made and top tier construction at a hobby level price. Solid backing through the dealer with ample additional or replacement parts if needed. The HPS air cap version needs less than 4.5 CFM but will shoot a 9” fan if you’re shooting bigger stuff like panels. The gun purchased from the UK (spraygunsdirect) with an additional repair/rebuild kit was around $160 shipped last time I checked. I’ve used this gun on loan several times along with the previous model R150. If I sold my SRi-W from above I’d instantly buy this to replace it.

If a low-dollar budget full size gun is required I’d probably go with the Astro EuroPro HE. It feels like a decent gun in the hand and probably exceeds HF quality/durability. You’re just going to need a decent compressor for it. Surprising gun for under $100. https://www.amazon.com/Astro-EUROHE1...0042KL6UC?th=1

If you’re mainly spraying smaller hobby stuff and want a top-tier finish, there’s always the Iwata LPH80. With the E4 cap it’ll spray a 5”+ fan all while running happily on even a portable air compressor. I use it more often than I ever imagined with metallics, base, and even clear on smaller stuff like valances and all my interior parts. Sometimes found under $200.

I enjoy shooting slower as opposed to going heavy so I always favor a 1.2 or maybe a 1.3 tip at most on a full size gun (which for me corresponds to a 1.0 on a mini or compact gun). I’ve also never been a fan of HVLP so I’ll always go for the HTE, RP, TE, HPS or whatever they want to call the higher transfer efficiency air caps. Sorry if I got too detailed on things.

The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy11 For This Useful Post: