View Single Post
Old 05-04-2024, 11:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Align bored TWICE? WHY? I’ve align bored around 3,000 blocks. You only align bore when replacing main caps, repairing the main saddle after a spun bearing or you have an unusually out of alignment main saddle.
had a nasty Hydrolock once, filled bottom end with coolant then split no 7 cyl. Had it sleeved. Then a few years later, Exh lobe on No 5 went flat and basically locked motor with combustion pressure that couldnt exhale. that one threw the mains out .003 shop said.

BUT, I also had very bad work done from that shop on that rebuild. ie, SCAT crank was made with 455 journals, but thrust was 400 width. Instead of opening up crank, some yahoo there ground my thrust bearings down to steel to fit the narrower 400 width. I did not know this till 3000KM later when the metal dust took out yet another cam.

I can NOT have any shop work on my stuff. They ALWAYS mess crap up. Do it yourself if ya want it done right. It's a 1970 455HO Block. 455s are rare here in Canada as it is, let alone a HO Block and heads.

"If it ain't broke, modify somethin till it is"
The Following User Says Thank You to zippy For This Useful Post: