View Single Post
Old 05-03-2024, 09:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSHARK81 View Post
I too am restoring my 1st 2nd gen F body. I am learning everyday of the many 1 or two year only parts and processes that were used on our cars. My car being a 71 would also have the one wire tach. My attention now being turned to debugging and getting all systems operational. This unfortunately includes a non operational Tach ( was working prior to restoration). It must have been “handled too much”.

My question to GS455 or any of the others who repair auto electronics either as a hobby or commercial business is do you just replace the 1 wire tach guts to get them to operate with points only? or Do you convert the 1 wire movement to a 2 wire later movement? In which case I think I would use a donor later tach as not to ruin an original one. Just looking at options. Trying to complete the car and have an operating tach, among other things. I would like to find a repair shop familiar with the early cars like ours. My preference would be to send out the whole cluster to repair the clock and tach, as well as test and calibrate the other gauges in the cluster. I appreciate any and all input about your experiences with repair shops.
My conversion will allow your tach to operate with only one wire and will be compatible with points, HEI, MSD box with the dedicated tach wire, or any points conversion ignition that is not multi spark. I only replace the circuit board, and depend on the meter movement being good or repairable. I also have a 2 wire circuit board that is compatible with the above listed ignitions, it requires a 12v power source. Anyone tech line that tells you a one wire is not compatible with HEI does not know what the are doing or their design is garbage. I have a master's degree in Electrical Engineering and have been doing this for a minute. My conversions are around $50, and I cannot do much cosmetic work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240503_201946.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	633147  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 70GS455 For This Useful Post: