View Single Post
Old 04-29-2024, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
I am going to throw pads and rotors on my son's 2018 Nissan Maxima.

He has been unhappy with the noisy brakes on the car from day one. He had continually complained about scuffing noises in the brakes that I threw on a set of Autozone pads and rotors on the fronts to silence him and the car ... that worked for a while. Now he has the typical pedal pulsing and worn pads that say it's time.

What to install??? I've browsed the following, all in the same relative price range:

Raybestos (my choice) ceramic pads w. coated/drilled/grooved rotors

S3 ceramic pads and coated/drilled/grooved rotors

Detroit Axle ceramic pads and coated/drilled/grooved rotors

Brembo ceramic pads with their plain rotors

I think Raybestos is a legit product plus they have a rubberized pad backing for quiet operation. Brembo is right around the same price but performance brakes don't necessarily make for quiet, long lasting brakes but in all likelihood will brake well but aren't so great when cold.

What are your thoughts?
Been there, done that, got the tee shirt.

Get OEM premium pads for the Max from the stealership NOT the value advantage pads. The dealer MAY have to order them.

Get Centric rotors from Rock Auto....the ones that are e-coated. Get new disc brake hardware from Rock Auto also....there is a suffix of Q on the p/n and they will have a rubber coating on them for isolation.

I like to use these guys for parts.....they sell to the public at wholesale prices, NOT 20% OVER MSRP like most of the stealerships do. https://www.zeiglernissanoforlandparkparts.com

The OEMs have MUCH stricter specs to meet than the aftermarket when it comes to brake pads, which is why I'm recommending you use them.

DO NOT allow a tire shop to torque down the wheels after a tire rotation...they most generally do not have a clue what they're doing.

I've had SEVERAL Maximas for daily drivers over the past 15 years and I'm telling you these things from experience.