View Single Post
Old 04-26-2024, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
I am not so sure its the gears.
With Cloyes they offer a "Z" series chain. The best on earth, but only in std. The .005 and .010 short sets get the IWIS chain. A good chain, just not as good as a" Z" chain.
Rollermaster BTW uses IWIS on all of their sets but do not offer a "Z" chain. The short Cloyes chains are IWIS, a step down from the "Z" chain. I called up Cloyes myself about this issue.
So, if it was the gears you could buy a Cloyes .005 short timing set with the "Z" chain. But you can not.
So it must be the chain, not the gears.
My understanding at least with Cloyes is the timing sets are "graded" Each set is mounted on a test fixture and tested for center to center distance with a dial indicator. Sets that measure in the STD range and boxed and sold as such. Sets that fall in at +.005 and less than +.010 and boxed and so forth. Tiny variations in axles and clearance between them and the ground rollers do stack up as well as tiny variations in the sprocket tooth cuts. The Z chains are so accurate, they don't measure outside the standard dimension range so no shorter Z chain sets are offered. The Z chain is an IWIS chain as well. Just a more precise, higher grade chain. Rollmaster either does not have access to this high grade chain or they choose not to use it due to higher cost. As far as I know, only Cloyes offers this chain for automotive use. FWIW, the "Rolon" brand chain is one to avoid if avoiding stretch and retarded timing is the goal. They are made in India and have very spotty quality. They seem to stretch excessively in stock/near stock applications. Many aftermarket cam companies use Rolon chains in their double roller sets and put them in a fancy camshaft manufacturers box. I strongly recommend NOT USING any roller chain that has no manufacturer marks on the links. They are almost guaranteed to be some Chinese knock-off or other low grade chain. IWIS or Renold are high quality chains.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post: