View Single Post
Old 04-24-2024, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moshier View Post
I was wondering why only the Pontiac communities embrace Rhoads lifters nowadays. I have read about anyone using them in a build in years. When I went to Westech to have my engine dynoed he said oh yeah that's a Pontiac thing.....or that was a Ken Crocie thing, nobody else runs them. What are your thoughts and are they still relevant in today's cams?
I’d say it’s a culture thing. I believe Jim Hand ran em, and when I first got my car, lots of guys recommended to get his book. Pontiacs seem to be unique in that there’s a big desire to run factory parts: Qjets, iron intake manifolds, ram air manifolds and until recently, iron heads. I’ve only been on the scene for 6 years, but I’d wager it was due to lack of aftermarket support back in the day.

I picked up a set for a possible 455 build. Cliff has said that a 9.5-10:1 CR 455 is a great match for a Crower 60919(very close to an 041 cam) and Rhoads. He went on to say it gave up very little compared to a hyd roller that he dynoed.

So I suppose with the proper cam selection and Rhoads you could have similar performance to a roller, for less coin.