Thread: Cams Video
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2024, 03:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
One should use all info available to spec a cam. Knowledge is power.

As far as spring pressures go I remember great debates on this Website in regards to that subject. I think it was finally decided as one spring was opening and fighting the spring pressures another was being helped by the pressure as it closed. So they cancelled each other out regardless how much pressure was used.... I
always thought that would mean an assembled engine would spin by itself...that has yet to happen.

I'm sure Dan Whitmore told you about the gains in power he found by reducing spring pressures.
Yes he did. He told me about some Pontiac builders who put a 8500RPM spring for a engine that is done by 6500RPM. Some shop in "Ohio".
He said all that extra spring pressure contributed to breaking lifter bores in a Pontiac too.
I miss that guy, I used to bounce a lot of stuff off him and always got a good answer.
He told me about you. Not by name but a younger guy looking to get into the business he helped out, had to be you.
The valve spring parasitic loss deal. I am sure heavy spring pressure does take more power to turn the engine over. But you get something back on the other side of the lobe. I doubt its 1 to 1. Has to be some formula-ratio.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dragncar For This Useful Post: