View Single Post
Old 04-23-2024, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdoro 68 View Post
Appreciate the input so far.

Are the spherical bearings that Global West uses the same or similar as the "Roto Joint" that UMI uses? Just wondering if it's a brand name thing.

After doing some homework, I've been leaning towards what Jason recommended above. Either the Global West or UMI with the spherical joints on the frame side and poly or Del-a-Lum on the diff side. I believe the diff housing comes with rubber bushings already installed.

Since the 12 bolt is a direct replacement, I don't see the need to spend the extra $ on adjustable uppers since the pinion angle should be good. I also prefer boxed control arms to tubular purely for appearance, so I'm leaning towards UMI pieces.

I have a sway bar from a '70 GTO in the rear I'm going to retain along with the Bilstein shocks.

Lowers: UMI 4041
https://www.umiperformance.com/home/...rms-poly-roto/

Uppers: UMI 4036
https://www.umiperformance.com/home/...s-roto-joints/
The Global West joint appears to be more akin to a roto roint. It's not a spherical rod end, but a high offset spherical bushing. It shouldn't rattle like a rod end, but it's not going to be as quiet as a rubber busing. This is why the spherical joints are on the frame side only. The rubber bushings in the differential will kill most of the NVH.

My opinion, but there's no place in suspension pieces for Poly. If you're thinking you need something with less deflection than rubber for a piece that moves in a single plane, you want the delrin bushing.

Think about what they make super balls out of then ask yourself why you'd put that material in your suspension. The answer that you'll inveriably come it is that it came down to cost. Polyurethane is far and away cheaper then quality rubber or delrin.

If you are changing ride height at all on these, you really should have the adjustable uppers. If the car is staying at factory ride height, then using non-adjustables would be fine.

In fact I would go as far as to say that if you don't believe you'll need an adjustable upper arm, I wouldn't even worry about purchasing them unless your stock pieces are in need of replacement. Instead, use the factory uppers with rubber bushings on both the differential and frame side, then go with an aftermarket lower with the spherical frame side and delrin differential side.

If you're set on doing both the uppers and lowers, get the adjustables, being able to dial in your pinion angle will benefit traction, NVH, handling etc.