View Single Post
Old 04-21-2024, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW many folks have found more power with increased air flow using a Quadrajet. Many times folks have found a power gain going from the "750" CFM unit to a large primary venturi "800" CFM unit. Many folks have gained power switching from the 800 CFM unit to the single ring primary booster (I hope I said that right) that flows more CFM. Some folks have gained power with radius inlets smoothing the air entrance of the Q-jet... It's not a carburetor designed for racing.

If your engine makes X power you only need enough air flow to feed that power level. At some point the air flow capabilities of the Q-jet becomes the limiting factor for power production. At that point the engine will respond to anything you do to increase air flow. If it's thinning the throttle shafts, putting a radius on the air entries, smoothing the rough edges or putting a big Holley on it the power levels will go up. The engine doesn't recognize where the increased air flow comes from. Now you can try all this on an engine that is happy with a 750 CFM unit you most likely won't find an improvement..... This is basic Horsepower building 101.

I posted a picture of a pile of carburetors we tested on high horsepower engines. There is a "reason" the pile on the right won the shoot out. Absolutely nothing wrong with the pile on the left. They just couldn't flow enough air to keep up with the engine they were mounted on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240421_083520.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	632404  

Last edited by PAUL K; 04-21-2024 at 10:13 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PAUL K For This Useful Post: