View Single Post
Old 04-13-2024, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
This is a link for anyone wanting to see what the Pontiac Pro Stock heads looked like.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/JJ4...ibextid=oFDknk

Kinda funny Pontiac had to make the Chevrolet head "right" for them. By today's standards they are valve lift limited and weak in the rocker arm mounting area.... Still capable of making a 1k plus naturally aspirated pretty easily. I remember these three versions:

427 head 460cc runner 18 degree
386 head 365cc runner 15 degree
385 head 420 cc runner 15 degree

I'm not familiar with the "396" but I'm thinking maybe the other three versions had the standard port locations but were similar to the above.

Pretty confident the engine Darin mentions in his video uses CV-juans
Thanks Paul for the brain jog. I think the castings were the 386 castings that Arnie needed. It's been over a decade and I probably had 396 on the brain from that sorry Chebbie engine. Anyway, they are as rare as hen's teeth and any ones you find are complete junk now and probably not usable. Every head Arnie had was welded and repaired multiple times in the rocker stud area. He ran individual Jesel stand rockers. The angles were so severe, the stands so weak, we had welds, roll pins, heli-coils, time certs, you name it trying to keep the valve train usable for him. Water leaks everywhere. They were a mess. At least the Pontiac engineers found a way to make that junk flow some air. Chevy had 40 years to do something with all that real estate in those heads. It took Pontiac engineers about 6 months to move them to a whole new level! Just think what Pontiac could have done if Mother GM would have given them a little money?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post: