View Single Post
Old 04-13-2024, 09:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Agreed, hood clearance is a real plus for some and a nice looking intake as well, fully dressed or in its slinkiest sexy form, underrated for the original intended use IMO.

Always thought HSD's greatest attribute was in design, a single plane that offered the benefit of performance right off idle to 6000 rpm, appealing for a street car. Of course, the more you whittle on it the more that goes away unless you're adding cubic inches, as mentioned really does depend on one's own particular build or intended use.

Again, I use it on an iron headed 400 4spd, Holley 780, Voodoo 703 and full length headers, couldn't be happier. Many shy away thinking they'll lose bottom end performance, can't imagine a 455 having issues off idle. I see you're planning on using a Quadrajet, here are some results from one of Cliff's tests, pretty sure he's using a Quadrajet.

"As we have mentioned previously, the iron intake has made the quickest runs at the track, in ET only. The highest MPH was obtained with the Tomahawk intake, so is shows potential.
The real interesting part of the testing was on the street. Even with the ET Street's in place, we don't hook up all that well, at least below about 10mph in low gear. This allows the engine to rev quickly into the "good" power, as it is not heavily loaded for very long at low rpm's.
We tested all the intakes on the street, prior to drag racing them. They rank in the following order: Tomahawk, HSD, RPM, Iron."

(http://psp.aquacomp.net/topic.asp?TO...29&whichpage=2)

The link has been broken for years not sure where it was posted memory fails me.

Frank