View Single Post
Old 04-12-2024, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
Honestly, have you seen the quality of Holley and Edelbrock stuff lately? I really doubt that their mechanical pumps are much better.

And yeah my point was that you're going to have to do the lines and everything anyhow. Not that the whole thing isn't expensive, but doing a robbmc pump, 1/2 lines and sender etc is also going to be quite a bit more expensive. I guess for me personally, I'll pay a couple hundred more to include a new tank in that equation and know that my fuel system is rock solid.

I'd also like to point out that the OP's own cost analysis put the difference at about $250.00 and included the tanks inc tank.

Another point I'd like to make about the street section is that many of those engines here are now 450-500 hp street engine. Almost everyone rolls around with a 460+cid engine with modern or modernized components that have pushed average power well above what these cars left the factory with. Nobody here is telling the guy with a stockish 350 that they need this type of fuel system...though it's not going to hurt them either.
Yes I have seen the quality of those pump, have used 3 different edelbrock pumps in recent years, the one on my car for a few years that I sold to a friend that is still using today & 2 others I suggested for friends cars at 400-425hp, they are nice pumps. Have heard of all kinds of people using the carter pumps & they get very good reviews... I have a auto zone bought stock type pumps on 2 of my cars that also work fine for 10+ years.

I dont doubt that quality has gone down hill in the last decade or so, but there are still decent mech pumps for the average street car & claiming they all "dont work" & everyone needs an E-pump is very exaggerated and not true, as was mentioned on my first reply... all depends on the application of the car.

I agree that doing it from scratch is best to just go tanks inc or other modern E-pump for cars that need more fuel supply than a mech pump can provide... but the large majority of street cars under say 350-400hp can & do work fine on a decent mech pump, its really only fast cars at the track that need more than a mech, my mild cam Q-jet 78TA runs mid 13's at 103+mph using a stock airtex type pump & 3/8" line/pickup, that type of car does not "need" an E-pump.

I added up the tanks inc set up, if bought from tanks inc & adding a good regulator & return lines its just about $1000, a little less buying from a bigger place like summit. The robbmc set up is about $500 for the 1100 pump, 1/2" pickup & line, pump is still only $248 for the newest version, my older adjustable was about $200. From my research tanksinc is about $500 more than the best mech pump setup.

Yes the street section does have some cars at 450-500hp+.. but those are what I consider "fast" cars doing high to low 11's at the track, not really considered the "average" street car I mentioned. So to put a HP number on this, anything below ~400hp running mid to upper 12's can & will do fine on a good mech pump, my car was fine down to 12.2 on a edelbrock pump and zero issues on the street feeding a ~520hp stroker engine with a pontiac intake & q-jet.

Someone here is making blanket statements without any HP# that mech pumps dont work- "With a carb, e-pump with bypass regulator is the only way to go. Period." "And don't talk to me about any mech pump working. Not even the go-to ones. They don't work." My comments were simply stating mech pump do work for all but the very fast cars. Wasnt trying to stir anything up, just stating the reality of mech pumps on average street cars.

Last edited by 78w72; 04-12-2024 at 10:28 AM.