View Single Post
Old 04-10-2024, 06:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

+2 on using a factory points distributor to trigger the MSD.

The good news is that it is rare to see bushings worn in a factory points unit unlike HEI's which for some reason often have a heavily worn lower bushing and shaft.

You must use good points. I use and prefer NOS Delco USA made points. Highgrade made some good sets, as well as Mallory and Accel. Obtain two sets and put one set in the glove box with a small screwdriver and headlamp.

All this fancy electronic stuff is fine, but keep in mind that they ALWAYS fail. Not a question of if it's a question of when. Over the years I've tried/tested just about everything on the market for distributors, modules, coils, etc. Some worked really well, but eventually every single one took a chit and I ended up going back to my stone stock HEI with nothing more done to it that add a positive stop for the mechanical advance and custom tuned the vacuum advance to add the correct amount of timing at light engine load.

I'd also add here that bug-zapping distributors do NOT make any more power on the dyno or advantages in ET or MPH over stock parts, provided they are all set up to do the same thing at every RPM. I killed that myth decades ago right on the dyno and backed it up with back to back track testing.

I'd add here that I actually saw a very slight improvement with a stock HEI vs an MSD billet with a 6AL box. The HEI is just a little more precise at the reluctor with it's "knife-edge" points vs the big fat trigger on the MSD's, plus MSD's rust all to chit if you stare at one too long! Not sure if they ever addressed that problem but most I've had in here look like they were put on the bottom of the ocean beside the Titanic for a couple of years before they showed up here!

I'd also use the VA as suggested above. No negatives from using it at any power level when the engine will see light load for extended periods. It allows for a leaner mixture to be burned, so you will use less fuel, less carbon build up, and not lighten up you wallet as much on long runs.......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),