View Single Post
Old 04-07-2024, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tim, it’s a great work out many times over but I have found that if I take the higher pressure reading springs and cycle them up to near coil bind in a vise 20 times they drop down a fair amount and make it easier to match them up for seat pressure.

Use the higher pressure ones on the intake valves.

after cycling them all be sure to check for ball park equal open pressure at your valve lift your running .

Also clamp the springs in the vise between wood.
If your vise jaw’s put marks in the spring bases you will have to polish those out ( a pain ) or consider that spring garbage.

Keep close track of the change in pressure.

If the low reading springs in terms of seat pressure drop off more percentage wise then the higher ones after cycling them then you truly have a turd set of springs and should send them back.

I know this all is a ton of work, but these days this is what it takes to have a long life stable valvetrain that does not loose control of itself nor break rockers or bend push rods .

Yes I know I sounds like i am a fanatic and this is a full afternoon’s worth of work, but have a few real bad issues like I have had by assuming that out of the box parts where ready to be put into use and you are likely to feel they way I do.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!

Last edited by steve25; 04-07-2024 at 10:20 AM.