View Single Post
Old 04-03-2024, 01:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Whatcha got in mind?

Yep, it will pull apart far enough to fit around a bar, not easy, but by no means hard ... right in line with what you would expect from a hard rubber part.

Not brittle at all, you could force it open/flat in a vise and then it would go back to it's original shape. TPU is what's used for shoe soles and heels and other very high wear parts. In engineering terms it's extremely "tough", deforms a LOT without taking a set, very high impact strength etc. It can be printed with varying levels of stiffness by changing the density with which it's printed .. from "squishy" like foam, to hard like a shoe heel.

In a sway-bar application it would be hard to say if it would remain fixed on the bar and clamp and flex internally (like a control arm bushing) or if it would remain fixed in the clamp and the bar would pivot inside (like hard poly bushings).

Parts that have been on my list to experiment with are:
Front sway bar bushings (since the 68 aftermarket examples don't fit right)
Radiator support bushings (would be close to the temp limits of the TPU)
Body support bushing
Hood bumpers and various other bumper all over the car.

It's pretty amazing stuff, you could make Pitbull chew toys with this.

As an example, the part I posted above took about 67 cents worth of filament, took about ten minutes to design, about three hours to print. (Bear in mind "print time" ... requires no attention from me, sometimes I even forget something is printing, kind of like throwing clothes in a washing machine)

Last edited by dataway; 04-03-2024 at 02:02 AM.