View Single Post
Old 03-31-2024, 08:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S View Post
I like oil analysis on timely intervals, but don’t do it often these days, and are often behind on maintenance.
For break in we generally change the break in oil and filter once after 30 minutes, and a second time before it hits 500 miles running a high zddp oil, not break in oil with extreme levels. Some engines that are really beat on I will change the oil several times before I hit 500 miles just to make sure I am keeping contaminants out of it. I have not often ran break in oil beyond the first 30 minutes. The blueprint break in oil info is interesting.

Yeah I'm not sure what to think about running the break in for 500 miles either. I guess they are being overly cautious. Their dyno procedure has already broken in the rings with a few slow speed high load runs before full pulls were made, and they performed a blow by test while on the dyno as well to make sure everything is seated and happy. Technically it shouldn't need any more break in, and I've seen videos of guys just start ripping on these things right out of the crate.
In the interest of doing what they are asking I filled the crankcase with Penngrade break in oil but I highly doubt I'm going to baby this thing for 500 miles, and I plan to drain a sample after a couple hundred miles for an oil analysis, and decide then if I should switch to regular oil, run it some more for another oil analysis to make sure it's all happy.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE