View Single Post
Old 03-27-2024, 11:13 PM

I have suffered with ocular migraines for most of my adult life (I'm 63). My dad used to get them. Both of my daughters had them in their teens, but thankfully, have seemed to "grow out of them," now that they are in their early-mid 20's.

I saw a neurologist a few years ago about mine. We did an MRI, and found nothing abnormal. He just told me to do what we usually do: keep a log of what I eat and my environment, and look for triggers. In all my years, I've yet to find a single common trigger.

Something else on my paternal side is ocular hypertension. My grandfather developed glaucoma, as did my dad (I've outlived my dad now by a few years; he passed at 56 from a heart attack). I started on drops to lower the fluid buildup in my eyes (Simbrinza in the morning and Lumigan at night). (Stick with me, there's a point to all of this.)

In '22, I had cataract surgery in both eyes. My ocular pressure immediately lowered following the surgery, and we adjusted my drops accordingly (I was previously taking the Simbrinza twice a day). My migraine occurrence has been notably less frequent (perhaps one every other month or every two months vs at least once a month). Neither my ophthalmologist nor my neurologist nor my optometrist, for that matter, can find any direct correlation, but there you have it. The reduction in frequency absolutely coincided with the surgery in '22.

Don't overlook the obvious (how are you seeing when you don't have a migraine? if you still wear corrective lenses after cataract surgery, as I do, how accurate/recent is the prescription?).

Migraines are a curse. That much is for certain.

'63 Bonneville Convertible
'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE