View Single Post
Old 03-27-2024, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Two tone paint, and applying masking

My 62 Safari is a factory maroon (belmont red) body with a white roof.

Im going to garage respray it this spring. Ive done it before with reasonable results considering the cost savings of a body shop job.

Im going to use summit single stage, which again I have used before happily. (I am still going to use a 2k Clear over the top.

I would like to do this all wet on wet. Do the minimal body work Im going to do. Scuff the whole car, wash it/prep it etc. Then spray a primer/sealer coat, go right into the two tone color, followed by clearing the whole car.

The application chart says that it can be taped after 8 hours. And the clearcoat window is 18.

The seal primer says if it dries for between 1 and 16 hours, spray a new layer or primer and continue wet on wet application. If longer than 16 I have to sand.

I really want to avoid abrading the surface once I get into this.

So should I

A: mask the body, and do a full wet application to the roof. Sealer/Top Coat, Clear Coat. Then come back and do the same thing to the body with the roof masked, at a later time.

B. Same thing but don't clear the roof. Let it sit over night, come out and mask the roof, seal/paint the body and then clear the whole car together with the masking removed?

There is a part of me that wants to just paint the whole thing one color to make it easier, but its made it its whole life with a two tone job.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports

Last edited by RocktimusPryme; 03-27-2024 at 10:33 PM.