View Single Post
Old 03-24-2024, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
He posted that with any of the two belts on it did it, but with both belts off it did not.

At first I also thought he said that it did it with both belts off and a thought to myself the last time I had a screech sound that was not the belts it turned out to be a cracked flexplate in the end.
Oops, early morning post misread the comment.

if it doesnt do it with both belts removed, that definitely could be belt related. I recently bought a 80 TA & had to drive it home 9 hours, test drive around city streets was fine, but once I hit the interstate at ~2800 rpms I noticed a bad screech sound that would stop below ~2800 then start again under light load getting to that 2800rpm. Stopped for gas & checked the belts & even tightened them, didnt change the noise. Made it home and did more checking, finally decided to pull the clutch fan to clean & repaint, started it up with out the fan & the noise was gone. Turned out it was a bad clutch that only made noise at that certain rpm & above.

If its not belts, check the clutch of the fan & try pulling it to see if the noise stops. Can run the engine with no fan or belts for a short time to check for noise.