View Single Post
Old 03-16-2024, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
For me & many others, we cant or dont want to spend $1000 every 5-6 years when the tires are physically ok based on everything you can see...
If you can't afford replacing aged tires, maybe you can't afford the car. Your exterior examination will not discover any internal problems.

Quote:
The 4-5 year old new BFGs in my basement are still as soft as they were when new, still have that new tire smell everytime I go down to the laundry room, and are perfectly safe to cruise around on a couple thousand easy miles per year, IMO.
No reputable tire store will sell you a 'brand new' 5 year old tire. They will dispose of it long before then. Most tire stores will clearance out tires approaching 2 years old at a discount.

This debunks the myth that tire dealers/manufacturers only recommend replacing old, yet good looking tires, due to age as you refer to below.

Quote:
its all case by case & tire companies want to sell you new tires so they come up with a magical date and for their own liability reasons. Also lots of shops still sell used tires, many are well over 5 years old.
Define 'lots of shops'.

I'm sure there are SOME, but I don't know of any around me (and I was an ACDelco territory manager with a $2.5 million dollar book of business selling to new and used car dealers, independent repair shops and fleets - many of whom did a good business in tire sales).

Quote:
Change tires, oil, braided fuel hose, washer hose, etc etc as you see fit & can afford, but anyone telling others what they have to do based on a subjective date or opinion or a worst case scenario is pointless since each situation is different is all I was saying.
An overdue oil change might cost you and engine. An old tire could (and has) killed someone, is all I'm saying.