View Single Post
Old 02-28-2024, 11:10 AM

When I first installed a pair of M/T valve covers on my stock engine years ago, the upper rear compressor bracket hit the top of the cover. Two 3/4" spacers and Ionger bolts let me raise that bracket vertically to clear the cover without impacting the swing of the compressor very much at all. On my current rebuild though, I had the same issue with Comp roller rockers. The Polyloks were too high and hit the M/T covers. I had to add the 3/8" spacer from Butler along with the second gasket to clear.

And that's when the $1650 headache started. The upper brackets for the compressor no longer cleared and it was evident there would not be enough swing left in the adjustment arc to adequately tighten the drive belt with a fabricated bracket. So a CVF serpentine kit was installed that included a new compressor, power steering pump and 100 amp alternator. (Needless to say, now I've got a brand new 1970 Saginaw power steering pump and reservoir and new Autozone alternator to sell, as well as all the original A/C brackets and compressor)

Everything was cool until the twin snorkel air cleaner housing would not sit low enough for the hood to close. The front snorkel hit the A/C compressor and the driver's side snorkel was hitting the hood brace on the side of the scoop opening. The snorkels are being shaved off the housing now to bring the air cleaner housing and scoop down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	#25 453 HP at 5600rpm.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	629483   Click image for larger version

Name:	#37 Engine Bay.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	629484   Click image for larger version

Name:	#46 Air Cleaner.jpg
Views:	87