View Single Post
Old 02-24-2024, 09:02 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dblnkldude View Post
One thing that particularly drove me nuts was the trunk light. I thought it was operated with the jamb switches. The plug that the trunk light was in had power all the time..hmmm. No switch o wait! No effing way it has mercury in it! I stared at it for probably an hour and half.
Firebird trunk lamp components assembly (1) by Ben, on Flickr

The pre-quartz clocks used mechanical contacts that wore out on the tips, and probably elsewhere. As Brian said, sometimes they just don't work anymore. Other times they may free up and have dust in them, but only a matter of .... um, time.

As probably also mentioned, there's the Quartz rebuild kits to suit early clocks. If your tacho works then the clock kit is likely the way to go. If tacho not so good, the replacements come with new clock. Just remember that you need to use the 70-78 style round tacho housing at the rear if looking for parts, the quartz type changed shape to that oval with flats and the inners don't swap with early models. The reproductions still only fit the early style but have updated mechanisms. Or you could try your luck many several used tachos and used clocks like we used to do and see if any work. I have a collection of them now, hard to sell though, being honest when saying they don't work, unlike when you bought them and simply said untested or worked when removed, they knew!

Last edited by Red80TA; 02-24-2024 at 09:20 PM.