View Single Post
Old 02-21-2024, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A couple of related stories.

Sometime in the late 80's, I decided to run 9" slicks on a stock (1970 vintage) 12-bolt rearend in my 4-speed '77 T/A. The attached picture shows what happened to the axle on the first good launch at Maple Grove. I rebuilt the rearend with Summers Bros c-clip eliminator axles. Fast forward to a couple of years ago when I tracked down the current owner of my old T/A and cold-called him to see if he would sell it. He started asking a series of questions to decide if I was, in fact, the legitimate previous owner of that car. When I mentioned that it had Summers Bros. axles, he was convinced.

For my current road race project, my advisor at Wilwood brakes was happy that this car has a Ford 9" rearend in it. He explained that the clearance in a c-clip axle moving around will push the disk pads away from the rotor a little bit and create a lag in braking response.

FWIW,
Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	broken axle.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	629093  

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”