View Single Post
Old 02-20-2024, 07:21 PM
Senior Chief

Dyno session was yesterday, at least part of it. Brought everything to Westech and had the N/A motor up on the dyno and ready to fire within about 90 minutes. As this is a brand new engine, the plan is to break in the engine with a carb and then switch out to the blower.

I had the N/A setup rigged with the COP ignition and ECU for timing only, so after break in and initial baseline pulls, we could just remove the single plane intake and carb, bolt on the blower, hook up the belt and the injectors, and begin making boost.

I had two days booked, the first day was to be N/A, with the second day for boost.

The engine fired first try, with everyone skeptical of the digital ignition- but it was within a few degrees after we put a timing light on it to confirm commanded timing was the same as measured timing.

We ran a break in cycle on the dyno, and the motor looked pretty good with absolutely no blow by, and good (measured) compression. We ended up with 40 degrees timing for the best numbers.

Best HP was 419.3, torque 497. This is a 8:1 motor with bone stock 112 cc smog heads, so that's about right.

We did have an issue with the lifters, I used the new Comp Evolution hydraulic rollers and we had significant trouble with the bleed down rates. We tried a number of different lashing strategies and just could not overcome the bleed downs to a point where we could rely on consistent valve lash.

When a valve goes out of lash on a high load dyno pull, the cylinder immediately goes lean- not something we want to chance with a supercharged application. After some discussion with Steve Brule, we decided to postpone the forced induction pulls until I can switch out the hydraulic roller lifters for solid rollers.

Next dyno session is in 3 weeks. Stay tuned.

1969 GTO 467, Edelbrock 325 CFM, Terminator EFI
1969 Firebird Convertible
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to darbikrash For This Useful Post: