View Single Post
Old 02-19-2024, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Weatherstrip Comparison Pics

I finally got the last weatherstrip brand in, to compare the 6 different styles I now have. I only am showing the 4 main "competitors" that were my top choices.

From the left; my original (Van Nuys installed) W/S from the TA. #2 is the Ames item. #3 is the Precision Industries offering and 4th is the GM Service Replacement part #9825829 I bought in the '80's.

Softest one is the old original in spite of it being 53 years old. The GM SR molding is next softest,. but is 1 1/4" tall. The correct 1970 - 72 dimension is 1". some info I read says that 1973 started the factory installation of the 1 1/4" W/S.
There is no #3 in softness (compressibility) since all the others are quite firm, basically identical. Those would be the "non-holed" Metro, the Precision (appears the same as the newer Metro with 2 holes) and the Ames. Didn't include a pic of the older design Metro since there was no visible difference.

BTW, only the 2 GM items were latex coated. I found no aftermarket stripping that is coated. All are extrusions.

I'm leaning towards using the Ames part since it matches the original appearance the best (IMO). But am concerned about the low compressibility. GM SR part though tall, compresses better than any of the others.
(Can you believe anyone could be so obsessive that they'd sweat this detail??)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	W-S compare #2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	628978   Click image for larger version

Name:	W-S compare #3.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	628979  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Transamric For This Useful Post: