View Single Post
Old 02-17-2024, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
The "Ford solenoid" on the fender doesn't work with typical permanent-magnet gear reduction (PMGR) starters. The starter doesn't disengage cleanly, so they tend to grind the flywheel and starter drive gear every time the key is released.

I do like them when used with the older-design, direct drive electromagnet starters.

The "Ford solenoid" on the fender doesn't change the way the solenoid on the starter works, it just supplies more voltage to it. They'll still wear, and they'll still burn the copper disc and contacts inside the solenoid.
Nope, it does in fact help the solenoid on the starter last longer. Why ? Because the Ford solenoid takes the initial high amp hit. The initial hit is what burns/wears on a solenoids contacts.
It might be milliseconds but the Ford switch gets it first, saves the one on the starter. The first high amp big draw does not take place on the starters solenoid, its already happened on the firewall.
They work fine "as is" with a Summit/Denso gear reduction starter. I have had this setup since the 90s and it works flawlessly. Same ole starter drive.
The starter does in fact disengage cleanly and does not grind my ring gear ever. I have never replaced one on a Pontiac from damage.
And I am one of those guys who starts and shuts off his engine moving up in the lanes. I don.t want a hot engine by the time I get to the line.

For whatever reason you seem to like to "correct" me a lot.
Well, not only does the Ford deal work great, no damage. It does NOT supply more voltage, its the same. It supplies more potential current/amps to the starter itself.