View Single Post
Old 02-14-2024, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT8U2 View Post
Thanks guys...

With the 1.5" taller, I didn't have hop stop bars at $315 but I suspect my adjustable upper arms will just need to be tweaked to fit in this new raised position?

Trutrac (worm gear?) was only a $30 upgrade vs normal Eaton posi, it's with the upgrade?
Yes a TruTrac is a helical gear limited slip differential. It is not a clutch type "Posi-Traction" differential that acts as an open carrier until the clutch apply.

The TruTrac has no clutches to wear and differs in that it is torque splitting towards the loaded gear. It can sent around 70-75% of the available power to the tire with the most traction, while still allowing the wheels to rotate at varying speeds. On a dragstrip launch this means you'll typically torque split nearly evenly and the car should launch straight.

Powering out of a corner the outer wheel which has the traction will be receiving the brunt of the power. This is unlike powering out of a corner with a posi where the application of torque will begin to lock the two wheels together in rotation speed.

Anywhere you would use a Posi over something like a spool, the helical gear differential almost always works better, is stronger and has less maintenance. Plus no need for any friction modifiers. Just run straight 90 weight conventional gear oil.