View Single Post
Old 02-14-2024, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Air IV Jack View Post
True, but the internet is full of bilge, opinions from yahoo's, and generally about 75% to 80% inaccurate!! Cliff Ruggles speaks of this all the time and has seen many of his customers hornswoggled by supposed experts on the net. Moral of story, if something works for you, keep using it. Why listen to someone you don't know tell you otherwise? Now that makes no sense!!
I think there is always a chance to learn new, better, and different ways to do things. The key is to really verify the source of the information. Two quick examples. I have a student in class needing to degree the cams on a Honda V-tech engine. I was not familiar. So go to Youtube. Found three videos posted right away. Watched all three. One was totally wrong, everything from finding TDC to the process. Next one had some things incorrect in the procedure. The third one made sense, was correct in every process and worked perfect on the kid's engine. So you have to check multiple sources if your not sure of something and do what makes sense. Second example was how to use ARP lube properly. A few years ago ARP began recommending putting lube only on the side of the torquing washer that contacts the underside of the nut or bolt. The side of the washer that contacts the head or main cap do not lube. I had been lubricating both sides of the washers for 30+ years without any issue. I changed to the recommended method and the torque seems to be smoother and more consistent. Never too old to learn.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post: