View Single Post
Old 02-12-2024, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I try to keep up with everything lubricant related today, I read, and watch a lot of info about lubrication, new stuff, vs old stuff.

When I hear that the zinc additives in the oil, aren't compatible with the zinc additives in the oil fortifiers, (call them oil additives) and mixing the 2 can cause inferior results, I'm wondering why all this supposedly advanced formulations can cause problems when joe average starts mixing this, and that together. KISS principle shouldn't be overlooked.

After talking over the years to people that work for the major oil companies, they have always said that they, under no circumstances, advise using additives with their oils. That was true in the 60s and 70s, and is true today. There is way more to oil formulation than most people ever realize. The petro engineers work hard to bring the best product to market at an affordable price, only to have some backyard expert attempt to improve upon all their hard work, and likely make it inferior to the original formulation.

At the beginning of ZDDP limitations everyone was under the impression that zinc was zinc, and more is better. Turns out that's not true at all. There are more than one type of zinc in oils, and additives. Too much can be as bad as too little, and mixing 2 different types is also bad. No one knew these things, nor did they bother to ask someone who did.

There is a lot of information available today, unfotuneatly it's not all accurate, it concerns many things in our life. It take diligence to sift through it all.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post: