View Single Post
Old 02-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
There is one You Tube video that a guy wanted to know what would happen inside of an engine with Glyptal paint. He tried about 20 different componds that could possibly come in contact with the oil.

Anything that has alcohol in it acted as a solvent, and most fuel system cleaners would also disolve it along with DOT 3 brake fluid. I have an engine that was painted internally with it, and run on dirt tracks for 3 seasons. Hot tanking it did remove some of it, and I recoated it after the hot tanking. I've had the oil pan off of it numerous times, with no evidence of the coating failing.

Here's a link to the You Tube video where he tests what solvents will remove it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On7g...el=Jafromobile

From this test I wouldn't use it on any engine that was run on pure methanol, ethanol, or E-85. Gasoline didn't seem to have any effect on it.

If you want to remove it from your engine, paint remover will probably be the best solvent to use. It's going to require disassembly though, and you're going to have to start over again with assembly of the parts. Likely it's going to be fairly simple if all the clearances have been set previously.
Thanks for the valuable information. I managed to get the majority off with thinner and some elbow grease. I oiled it up for now and will pick up again this week. Now it's time to prep for the Superbowl Party.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1965 gto engine 2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	628354