View Single Post
Old 02-07-2024, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The TA cover girdle or other comparable 10 bolt girdle covers for an 8.2 is the same as a 8.5. You can get it and run it on an 8.2 10 bolt and move it over to a 8.5. Some knock offs are only about $150 new. It both keeps the case from flexing for better teeth contact under a load, and reinforces the carrier caps. With a valuable N case and more than 400 HP in front of it I would want to run one. I like the deeper cover versions that add extra strength and also add an extra quart of oil.

The cheapest upgrade for an 8.2 in an A body is by far the 71 and 72 Olds and Buick 8.5s. The 8.5 have bigger U joints and bolt in axles that do not taper down like a 12 bolt or a 8.2. The driveshaft usually has to be shortened some, same as running a 12 bolt. The stock axles are 28 spline but they do not taper down like a 8.2 or a 12 bolt, the stock the 71 and 72 bolt in axles are strong enough to get a street car deep into the 11s. For drag racing you do not need the c clip eliminators either. The 8.5s weak spot is the stock carrier, but can also be upgraded to a 28 or 30 spline axles and better carrier, or even 35 spline and spool for drag racing. You can also upgrade the 8.5 to newer style 8.6” ring gears. From what I understand the 8.5 carrier’s are Nodular (not completely sure on that though), but I know all the OEM A body 12 bolts are grey iron. The two have the same pinion dimensions, so the nodular 8.5 has more pinion support than a 12 bolt. Find someone that is parting out a 72 Buick or Cutlass and you will find a cheap 8.5. The Cutlass does not have the typical 8.5 markings, and get passed off as Chevy 8.2s. Easiest to find and usually price the same as an 8.2 cause they don’t know what it is.

Last edited by Jay S; 02-07-2024 at 08:51 AM.