View Single Post
Old 01-31-2024, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Lamnas View Post
Tank pump choice is either 67GPH @80psi or 90 GPH @90psi, bypass regulator mounted underhood within ~30 inches of carb.
Are you sure on those specs? Typically pumps flow more fluid at lower pressures, less at higher pressures.

I'm assuming your chosen fuel pump is something like this?

https://walbrofuelpumps.com/450lph-w...0267.html.html

Here's one thing to think about. Fuel systems, more isn't always better if it's too much. If your engine makes 550hp and the fuel pump feeding it is supportive of something like 850 hp, you can create issues for yourself.

Except for pumps designed to work with PWM controllers, the pumps wants to live in a specific pressure range and voltage. This may cause you to pass a lot of fuel back to your tank. If the return system is not designed properly, you can create pressure in return lines that causes pressure creep at your regulator. Additionally the large volume of fuel moving through the tank and system can collapse the tank if it's not vented properly.

Point being, if you don't need enough fuel to support 850hp, I wouldn't necessarily give it that much fuel. Instead, select a pump that would be running at about 70-80% duty cycle for your given hp needs. At 600 hp, you are going to need roughly 60gph, or a little less depending on how much fuel you're giving the engine.

I'd be looking at a Walbro 255 or 340. Especially at the pressures you need for your carb, the Walbro 255 would be a good choice for your combo, but doesn't necessarily provide you much future growth potential. The 340 would, while also not being so massive as to potentially cause fuel system headaches.