View Single Post
Old 01-29-2024, 09:44 AM
Senior Chief

Okay, you have a repop door assembly, at this point it doesn't matter what the fender is. I've run into this issue on Chevy and Pontiac A bodies every time I mix repop with OEM and even repop-to-repop. The panels rarely match.

Plan A; have you looked for an OEM door that you can re-skin? This would be the best choice.

Plan B; I have flattened the fenders before which is really easy, but you have to re-match the feature lines and I don't recommend it unless you know how to use lead as a filler.

Plan C; I think the best way would be to cut your door skin off and fit a new ropop skin to your existing shell. Fit the skin with the door on the car prior to bending the edges so you can position it to match the fender and quarter panel in all directions. Pull the skin out to match the fender bulge, then tack the skin in place at the corners. You'll need a helper. This also has an advantage when matching the quarter panel and rocker panels.

Fully assemble the door before you start your final bodywork to make sure everything fits. There can be major issues with repop doors as far as the vent window fit, adding a mirror reinforcement if you want a RH mirror, catwhisker and molding fit, etc.

The shape of the jam edge on repops never match especially the upper pillar area, so I use welding rod and file it, then I fill with welding rod gap with lead.