View Single Post
Old 01-27-2024, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably picked up the info about Crower lifter from me on the other thread. I did a summit 2802 cam for a local guy with Crower cam saver lifter’s last summer. They are an OK lifter, but are not as good as HLJ, and the current price reflects that. The car is being restored and he has not ran it yet. So nothing to report. Which is most of the state of the cams I have done for folks the last couple years. Just for clarification, Hylift Johnson use to make lifters for Crower, that is true. Hylift Johnson actually does make some lifters for Crower yet. But they are sold as “Hylift Johnson lifter’s”, labeled that way, and the price is much higher than their standard Crower’s lifters.

Last couple years I have been sourcing NOS lifter from the late 70s and early 80s for HFT’s. Interestingly, some of these old NOS lifters seem to have a less convex face and a finer finish than what is being sold by current makers. The current Crower cam saver lifters are still made in the USA, just not by Johnson. Says made in the USA on the package, it means at least something about them is machined here in the USA.

I have not in anyway gave up on flat tappet cams. I have been doing a lot of roller cams though. For prep on flat tappets I coat the cams with the Lubricant usually provide with the camshaft, or find something similar when it does not come with it. Prefer the Driven oil for break in. If that is not available I add a break in additive. I only remove inner springs if the pressure is over 300 lbs over the nose.

Last edited by Jay S; 01-27-2024 at 10:04 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay S For This Useful Post: