View Single Post
Old 01-22-2024, 07:43 PM

It sounds like the 068 Melling SPC-7 cam with Johnson Hylift lifters is the way to go if I want to keep a hydraulic flat tappet cam. For valve springs, do I have to measure spring height before selecting?

So it looks like the block will be taking a trip to the machine shop, have them install new cam bearings and a quick cylinder wall hone for the new rings (if I'm lucky and the walls and skirts are not scored too deep) Anything else I should be considering?

Tim Corcoran, I hear what you're saying about the proper break in oil and the zddp. I intend to use the best available to me when I fire this up. I'm pretty sure I followed the best advice 20 years ago as well but that may have involved pouring in a bottle of "break in" treatment with standard detergent oil. I know a lot has changed for us in the last 20 years. I also hear what you're saying about Butler not building engines with a flat tappet. Part of me is scared of these flat tappet cams and wants to go roller but I have heard some negative things about them, some excessive valvetrain noise complaints, some catastrophic failures, and the cost is quite a bit more than the HFTs. This is my first lifter failure and I definitely do not want another!