View Single Post
Old 01-18-2024, 01:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S View Post
Does the performance meter you have show MPH times? That maybe would be the better indicator of what HP the engine is making. Mid 14s on the street could be mid 13s on a prepped track.

A 2802 in a 455 is a small cam, so, if the cam timing was retarded, my guess is the engine would actually like it. So I rather doubt cam timing is your issue.. As is I think the 750VAC that has the metering blocks on the secondaries is your biggest issue for your combo, not the performer intake or the cam. Pretty limited on tuning with that carb. If the timing chain was loose when it was install, was most certainly retarded some. But the 2802 comes with 5* of advance built into it, it has room for some retarding.

Maybe he will comment, but Dennis Jensen on here dyno’d his 70 455 with small valve heads and 9.8 SCR, all stock, no headers, and I think it made 390HP@4800. Best I recall anyway, I think it runs in the 13s in his stock A body. I think he later swapped over to stock round ports with the same short block and it made around 420 HP @5200. The current 112 LSA 60919 with that same set up peaks a few hundred rpm higher, if you are looking for big gains, I think you would be disappointed. I have ran in the high 12s with a completely stock Oldsmobile 455 and headers with the smaller 2801. No question there are better cams for a 455, but it seems like there is something going on more than just the small cam.

Just leaving the 1.52 and swapping from the 2802 to the 60919 is not going to be a big improvement. Both those need 1.65 rockers. The 60919’s that had 112LSA’s I have had do not need Rhoads lifters in 455s. Bigger rockers require the intake pushrod to be clearanced, So if your stuck with 1.52s, i would pick a cam that has more lift, like a Lunati voodoo 704. There are some Bullet grinds that are similar to the Lunati also that provide a lot more lift without a rocker change.
I agree with Jay on the Lunati 704 VooDoo camshaft being a good choice for a 455 as well. We used one is a 467 using Butlers stroker rotating assembly in a 1979 W72 400 build. The customer wanted to retain the stock, numbers matching look, so it retained the stone stock 6X-4 heads, other than adding the 68404 springs and Ferrea Stainless Valves. It came out with 9.3 Compression, and we used the Crower CamSaver lifter in it. It was a 4-Speed car with 3.23 gears and 275/40/17 tires, and it absolutley screamed for having NO porting on the heads, not even port matched. It also retained the stock W72 Iron Intake. We installed that camshaft at 104° Intake Centerline. At a 20mph roll, in 1st gear, it would absolutley start screaming the tires off, without a clutch dump, and pulled really hard at the same time. We were really impressed for having stock heads on it. It idled realtivly mild, just a tiny hint of attitude, and if memory serves, it produced 14" of Idle Vacuum at 800 RPM. The customer was extremely pleased. This is a 100% street car, so no track times....